In case you’re feeling lower back pain that gradually moves to your legs, chances are that you’re suffering from sciatica. The condition can really be uncomfortable and it gets worse during the night. Although sciatica can be as a result of a number of conditions, there’s one thing that can worsen or improve the pain: mattress. It’s for this reason many people are looking for the best mattress for sciatica pain.
Although sciatica pain is a common problem, most people don’t understand why it happens, and how it can be improved with the correct mattress. It is therefore important that you understand sciatica, and how it’s affected by your mattress. Choosing the correct bedding can really be helpful in reducing the discomfort.
Sciatica happens to be a symptom of other complications. It’s normally caused by an underlying back condition, such as arthritis, or degenerated or herniated disc. The discs behind sciatica are normally the L4, L5 and S1 discs.
In case one of these problems is leading to the build-up of pressure on the sciatic nerve, it will lead to lower back pain which can spread to the legs and feet. The condition gets worse when you’re lying in bed. It’s unfortunate for some people as the pain get so severe that it becomes debilitating.
Why does it matter buying correct mattress for sciatica pain?
The conditions leading to sciatica pain can be triggered or worsened by a mattress that isn’t sufficiently supportive. Particularly, lack of enough support around that hips and the lower back is more likely to cause sciatica pain. Full spinal support is important as well. This is because sciatica pain can be caused by a mattress that lets your spin to rest on an unnatural or uncomfortable position. Generally, a mattress that’s too soft or too firm for your needs may be solely responsible for making your pain worse at night.
How to know if your mattress is making sciatica worse
In case you’re suffering from sciatica, you could be wondering whether your mattress is to blame. The original condition of lower back pain may be as a result of several factors. However, your mattress might be a contributing factor in worsening your pain. There are a few ways to know if your mattress is unsupportive and may be the reason for sciatica or worsening it. In case you spot one or more of these red flags, then it’s time for a mattress overhaul.
- Your sleep is disturbed or you’re woken up by pain.
- Discomfort making falling asleep a struggle.
- Your mattress appearing saggy or lumpy.
- Back pain becoming worse at night and immediately you wake up, which then improves throughout the course of the day.
- Finding it difficult to lay in a comfortable position in bed.
- Your mattress filling feeling unevenly distributed.
Best Mattresses for Sciatica Pain
This review for the best mattresses for sciatica pain has been put together following a thorough study of resources from doctors and sleep experts, targeting the leading cause of sciatica and how to prevent the pain with a change to a better mattress.
1. Sleep Innovation Shiloh Memory Foam Mattress
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress, Bed in a Box, Quilted Cover, Made in The USA, 10-Year Warranty - Queen Size
- QUEEN MATTRESS: Drift into a sounder, deeper sleep on this memory foam 12-inch mattress ideal for any sleeping position and average to bigger body types.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT: Get the best night's sleep every night, on the Shiloh mattress, with proven pressure point relief and personalized alignment.
- MEMORY FOAM: Every body is unique and deserves personalized comfort - this memory foam mattress lightly cradles your body with a DuoComfort Design including a SureTemp memory foam top layer and premium support foam bottom.
- DELUXE QUILTED COVER: Beautifully tailored quilted design with a luxurious feel.
- MEDIUM FEEL MATTRESS: The Shiloh mattress, with a medium feel, provides head to toe comfort so you wake up feeling refreshed, recharged and ready to take on the day.
- 2 layers
- 12-Inch thickness
- Made of memory foam material
- Medium firmness
- 20-year limited warranty
- Comes with a poly-cotton blend cover
This mattress comes with a layered cushioning that’s tailored for your spine and enhanced for sufficient head to toe comfort. This is a Queen-sized bed at 12-inches designed for average to bigger body types. The mattress is made of memory foam conforming to your body for optimum comfort on all sides. In addition, memory foam is particularly good for sciatica as it designed to cradle all of your spine nerve roots.
The Shiloh Memory Foam Mattress utilizes DuoComfort technology featuring a memory top layer and a middle layer made of Support-Plus foam. This US-made mattress has proven to provide sufficient pressure point relief. The mattress will help your back alignment, particularly when sleeping. The mattress not only improves each night, but also ensures you experience less pain during your busy workday.
The sleep top layer features a 2.5-inch SureTemp memory foam and a 9.5-inch Support-Plus foam. On top of this, the Shiloh Memory Foam Mattress features a stylish look that goes with the included soft poly-cotton blend mattress cover. The shipping and installation are pretty simple, with a vacuum-packed package. The best part is that the mattress comes with a 20-year limited warranty.
2. LUCID Latex Hybrid Mattress
LUCID 10 Inch Queen Latex Hybrid Mattress - Cooling Gel Memory Foam - Responsive Latex Layer - Adaptable - Premium Support - Durable Steel Coils
- 5.5-inch, high-quality steel coils are individually-wrapped to increase airflow, isolate motion, and conform to individual sleep styles
- Plush memory foam layer is topped with natural latex for the perfect combination of sink and spring
- Perfect mattress for those who want the comfort of memory foam with the hypoallergenic and breathable properties of latex
- Attractive, two-tone cover finishes the elegant look of this mattress; backed by a 10-year warranty against manufacturer defects
- Compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box for simple setup; easily fits through narrow hallways and staircases
- 10-inch thickness
- 4 layers
- Made of natural latex and gel-infused memory foam
- Medium firmness
- 10-year limited warranty
- Circular knit fabric cover
The LUCID Latex Hybrid Mattress blends in the common elements of the traditional spring-mattress designs with modern memory foam mattresses. The base features 5.5 inches of individually encased steel coils that respond to the sleeper’s movements and distribute the weight uniformly. The coils also increase entire airflow of the bed for sufficient heat distribution.
The mattress top layer is made of 2.5-inch thick real latex and a gel-infused memory foam for adequate support of major pressure joints and diffusion of body heat. The middle layer functions as a dual transition layer between the memory foam and springs for excellent motion transfer. The dual transition layer also separates springs from the conforming foam with an extra 2-inch memory foam.
The edge of the mattress also offers extra support with a 5-inch dense foam offering you easy time when getting up, particularly those suffering from sciatica pain who find it difficult getting out of bed. This mattress comes as a king, California King, full, queen, twin XL, and twin. It also features a two-tone cover and a 10-year limited warranty against any manufacturer defects. This is a truly unique mattress especially for those suffering from sciatica pains.
3. Live and Sleep Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Live & Sleep King Size Mattress, Gel Memory Foam - 10 Inch Mattress - Firm Mattress - Cool Bed in a Box - Balanced Support - Luxury Form Pillow - CertiPUR Certified - Hypoallergenic - King
- PERFECT CONTOUR: Eastern king mattress cradles you in a deluxe cushion of 2.5 inches of Premium Air-Flow MF over a layer of Gel-Infused Memory Foam + High Density Support Base. Extra-thick profile gives luxury hotel touch
- COOLER INNOVATION: Breathable, plush & better quality materials, not cheap inexpensive foam. Optimum comfort that relaxes & cools your body. Deep rest for a long day ahead. No coils or latex used
- BEST BUY SOLUTION: Top Rated King Memory Foam Mattress with over 90% 5-star reviews on Amazon. Classic medium-firm HD core relieves pressure points + less tossing & turning. Good for side, back and stomach sleepers. Signature feel recharges you from a dream night of ultimate slumber
- SOFT KNIT COVER: Flex linen works with any home bedroom furniture frame set, box-spring or futon. Stays comfortable and has a cloud like sensation. Use a bedding pad or protector on any mattress, cot, tri-fold or guest room day-bed
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED & BONUS free memory foam pillow. Non toxic, Eco-Friendly & Hypoallergenic + Great on a boxspring, platform, adjustable or hard floor only. New purchase includes full refund guarantee from 30 day trial + 20-year warranty
- 12-inch thickness
- Memory foam mattress
- Medium-balanced firmness
- 20-year limited warranty
- Comes in 3 layers
- Soft woven knit cover
This is perhaps one of the top-rated mattresses out there thanks to its cooling innovation, and taking a premium gel-infused memory foam and laying it in a way to improve airflow via an open-cell structure. This mattress is more breathable than any you’ve had before. This means that it will sufficiently circulate your natural body heat so you’re not too hot or too cold. It will also remain in the same temperature day and night before getting in. No one likes getting into a freezing bed.
The Live and Sleep Gel Memory Foam Mattress comes in King, Queen, Short Queen, full, California king, twin, and twin XL sizes, all with a 2.5-inch memory foam cushion over an 8.5-inch high-density polyurethane base. This is the kind of mattress you’ve been finding in luxury hotels. It features a medium-firm design that works well in relieving core pressure points along the spine for less turning and tossing and soft realignment and correction.
The Live and Sleep Gel Memory Foam Mattress also comes with a soft flex cover that allows for easy care and protection of the mattress. The cover also provides for extra padding with comfortable texture. It also comes with a bonus pillow and a 30-day trial or a full refund. An amazing 20-year limited warranty is also available.
4. Zinus Viscolatex Memory Foam Mattress
Zinus Responsive Memory Foam 10 Inch / Firm / Universal Comfort Support Mattress, Queen
- 2 inch Viscolatex responsive foam, 1 inch memory foam, 2 inch hdd support foam, 5 inch high density base foam, with a soft luxurious cover
- The foams are infused with Green tea, Charcoal and natural plant Oil for minimal use of petrol based chemical and works to eliminate odors
- Patented compression technology allows Our mattresses to be compressed, rolled and shipped in a box via FedEx
- All foam is CertiPUR-US Certified for durability, performance and Content
- Please allow 24-48 hours for the memory foam mattress to fully expand to its original size and Shape
- 10-inch thickness
- Features a 4-layer design
- Made of memory foam and Viscolatex
- Medium firmness
- 10-year limited warranty
- The mattress foams are infused with charcoal, natural plant oil, and green tea
Featuring one of the most innovative design, this mattress features a latex like foam that creates an amazing responsive and durable surface. With a 10-inch foam, this mattress offers you just the right amount of comfort with just a bit of bounce. It is therefore great for sleepers who change their sleeping positions constantly and don’t want to be trapped deep in body-conforming materials.
The Viscolatex’s layering system is designed to lay down foam sheets until a high-density foam surface is created that’s necessary for relieving pressure while still providing sufficient density and resilience. These materials will outlive other materials for long-lasting support for your back and relieving sciatica.
The mattress comes in King, queen, full, and twin sizes. The manufacturer’s patented compression technology allows for easy storage and shipping. The mattress can therefore be compressed and rolled. In addition, all Viscolatex mattresses are infused with charcoal, natural plant oil, and green tea for an odor-free design therefore negating the widespread use of petrol-based chemicals.
5. Best Price Mattress Memory Foam Mattress
Best Price Mattress 10-Inch Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
- Amazing comfort from body-conforming
- No pressure points / Deeper sleep
- Rich Poly-Jacquard fabric cover
- Compacted for shipping, takes up to 72 hours to fully expand
- 10-year warranty
- 12 inches thick
- 3-layer design
- Made of memory foam materials
- Medium firmness
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- Comes with a natural bamboo/poly blend cover
This is a three-layered mattress that features a top layer of 2.5-inch memory foam infused with odor-neutralizing charcoal, a 3-inch layer of soft foam featuring a perforated pressure relief system, and a 3rd layer of 6.5-inch high density PU foam that ensures the mattress lasts long and offers an extended back support and a bit of bounce.
This mattress features a responsive active suspension technology that isolates your body and minimizes motion transfer between you and your partner. It also distributes weight and motion evenly across all pressure points of the occupants.
The Best Price Mattress Memory Foam Mattress comes in king, queen, full, and twin sizes and with a 10-year limited warranty. In addition, the manufacturer and the bed are both certified with the PUR-US and satisfies the stringent guidelines for a long-lasting and emission-free bed.
The mattress isn’t made of harmful or bad-smelly chemicals and won’t wear out as other mattresses do. It would be an ideal choice for a messy or rambunctious kid, or if your child has been suffering from back pain or diagnosed with scoliosis.
- How to choose the best mattress for sciatica pain?
After going through all the mattresses ideal for those suffering from sciatica pain, chances are high that you now want to know how to pick the best mattress to fix your sciatica pain. With the endless list of mattresses to choose from, it can be so difficult to know what product suits you perfectly. In reality, everyone needs vary and what suits you may not suit another person. There are however a few ingredients that you need to make a priority when looking for a mattress for sciatica. Get these basics right, and you could be on your way to choosing a more supportive mattress and getting a better sleep.
- Lumbar and hip support
A mattress that will help you reduce sciatica pain must offer a good level of support particularly for the lumbar and hip area. It’s important that the mattress supports your entire spine in a healthy alignment. Correct amount of support can really work wonders for sciatica pain. On the other hand, lack of enough support can make it significantly worse. Support should therefore be your number one priority when shopping for mattresses for sciatica pain.
Any mattress designed for sciatica pain patients should be able to conform to any user’s body shape. This helps relieve pressure off your joints and reduce pain. Although memory foam appears to be the obvious choice with regards to comfortability, there are still several other mattresses that can be suitable and adaptable enough to ease your back pain.
- Edge support and durability
A mattress for sciatica should not only be supportive, but should also maintain its level of support in the long-run lest your problems simply come back. Therefore, it’s important to look for mattress that’s long-lasting and will remain supportive for several years. One important thing to look out for is excellent edge support. Edge support means that the mattress features additional reinforcement around the edges. This is what helps to maintain its shape and prevent sagging. Adequate edge support is particularly important if you like to lie or sit on the mattress edges as this can lead to premature wear and tear.
Although this could sound like no brainer,
in reality people often persist in sleeping on too-hard or uncomfortable
mattresses as they have been told that specific mattresses are best for
relieving their discomfort. This is unfortunately counterproductive.
In case your mattress is uncomfortable, you won’t sleep well and will end up adopting some unnatural sleeping positions in an attempt to ease your pain, which can make things even worse. Therefore, you can spend a fortune on a mattress hailed as being ideal for combating sciatica pain. If it isn’t comfy, then it won’t help. For this reason, make sure any mattress you buy feels comfortable.
- User and expert reviews
Mattress manufacturers often make claims of how supportive their mattresses are, but it’s imperative that you confirm that this really bears in reality. Therefore, you need to check reviews from mattress experts and real-life users, particularly those suffering from sciatica pain. This will give you a realistic sense of whether the mattress you’re about to buy will help with your sciatica pain.
- Do I need a firm mattress to ease sciatica pain?
It’s a common misconception that a very firm mattress will ease sciatica. These are often termed as orthopedic mattresses, although this simply means a very firm mattress. This is a bit of a misconception, although orthopedic mattresses will be ideal for some people. Unfortunately, very firm mattresses make some people’s pain worse. In fact, your sleeping position makes a huge difference to which level of firmness you should go for. Here’s how to choose the right level of firmness:
- Side sleepers
A good number of people sleep on their side. This isn’t a bad position if you’re suffering from sciatica pain. Unfortunately, this position can exert a lot of pressure on your hips making you more sore and achy. Therefore, side sleepers require a medium mattress so that their curved body can sink in comfortably.
- Back sleepers
Back sleepers need additional support to keep their neck and back in a healthy alignment. Medium-firm or firm mattresses are therefore a better choice for them particularly if they’re suffering from sciatica.
- Front sleepers
Sleeping on your front isn’t good for sciatica and back pain as it forces your spine into an unnatural alignment, which can worsen then pain. Try to switch to sleeping on your back or side. If you absolutely can’t change this position, then you’ll need a very firm mattress to give your spine extra support.
Sciatica, like other forms of back pain, calls for sleeping on a surface that provides sufficient cushioning and strong support. The best mattress would be the one that conforms to the sleeper’s body and doesn’t hug tightly or sag excessively.