With well over 200,000 cases diagnosed each year in the US, sleep apnea is a common problem that has proven to cause serious health complications. Sleep apnea occurs due to blocked airways that result in loud snoring as well as choking during sleep. Doctors, therefore, recommend sleeping on the best mattress for sleep apnea.
Those suffering from sleep apnea lose about a third of their night’s sleep each night and their turning and tossing affect the sleep cycle of their partners as well. Such a high amount of sleep debt may lead to daytime fatigue, headaches, drowsiness, weight gain, high blood pressure, and heart complications.
CPAP or Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Machine is the most prevalent treatment for patients suffering from sleep apnea. This treatment method uses a face mask and an oxygen tank to improve airflow during sleep. Although it may take some time to adjust to the facemask, the method has proved effective for sleep apnea patients.
- Raised and adjustable mattresses for sleep apnea
Investing in a good mattress for sleep apnea is another often overlooked solution. On top of the CPAP machine, adjustable mattresses for sleep apnea patients offer proper sleep support. Mattress elevation is yet another solution for sleep apnea.
Beds helping with sleep apnea support sleepers just like any other quality mattress. Making sure pressure points in the hips and shoulders are supported properly is one way of getting a healthy night sleep, which is why the best mattress for sleep apnea should be adjustable to fit into your specific needs.
The main objective of sleep apnea treatment is to open your airway properly so you breath better at night. Raising the head of the bed is a better way of achieving this and often recommended by sleep experts. Using more pillows is another an alternative method, but the pillows can slip while you sleep.
- Sleep apnea and bed angle
Sleeping on an inclined surface can help open the airway, therefore alleviating snoring and normalizing oxygen supply to the brain. By avoiding blockage and letting gravity play its role, snoring and blockage from sleep apnea are minimized. By raising the head of the bed, air can pass through the airways easily and reach the vital organs.
Although adjustable beds aren’t a cure, they have proved effective in lessening sleep apnea symptoms and patients enjoy a more restful sleep. In most cases, this is a more suitable option for sleep apnea patients.
- Extra benefits of inclined sleeping
Inclined sleeping has a number of benefits on the body structure generally. A slight inclination is sufficient to align the spine and strengthen muscles, ligaments, tendons, and fascia. In addition, inclined sleeping can prevent degeneration of the spine and connective tissue often associated with aging. Inclined sleeping can also be helpful with poor postural conditions, such as lordosis, scoliosis, and kyphosis, and also reduce the symptoms of restless leg syndrome.
Top 5 Best Mattresses for Sleep Apnea
A good night’s sleep is becoming a rare luxury of modern-day society. With illnesses such as insomnia, anxiety, and stress along with the highly undesirable symptom of sleep apnea, a more serious solution must be found. This is why several mattress manufacturers have heeded the call and produced mattresses that can drastically reduce and in some cases cure sleep apnea.
Your choice of mattress will dictate your sleep position and offer a different degree of support and cushioning in critical pressure areas. This is what plays a major role in solving the problem of sleep apnea.
Here’s a list of top five best mattresses for sleep apnea.
1. Tuft & Needle Queen Mattress
Tuft & Needle Queen Mattress
$535.50 in stock
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is universally comfortable for all sleeping positions
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night
- Cool sleeping: Our foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam, the T&N Adaptive foam helps pull away heat with cooling graphite and gel beads, wrapped in our breathable plush cover to help keep you cool and comfortable
- Free of harmful chemicals: Our mattresses GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US certified, this means our beds are held to the highest of standards and are third party tested and certified to free of harmful chemicals, substances or materials
- Questions: We pride ourselves on customer service and urge you to reach out to us directly if you have any questions at any point, our expert customer service team will be available to help you through any hesitations, problems or questions you may have
Sleeping on the side and allowing for better airway aliment has proven to be the best, simplest, and the most effective way of reducing the symptoms of sleep apnea. The Lucid Memory Foam 10-inch mattress is among the best side sleeping mattresses you’ll find around.
The plush and adaptive foam surface minimizes any pressure on stress points like hips, shoulders, and still provide sufficient base support to prevent you from sinking in the bed.
If sleeping on the side isn’t your sleeping position, then this is the time to become a happy and comfortable side sleeper. You get an amazing 10-year warranty and a soft breathable cover that allows for sufficient ventilation during summer.
- It’s a perfect option for side sleepers
- Uniquely comfortable
- Excellent cushioning
- Friendly customer support
- 100 nights of sleep trial
2. Zenhaven – Dual-Sided Latex
Luxury Innerspring Mattress
- ✅ HIGH-QUALITY- Designed to provide perfect contouring comfort for a restful night’s sleep with advanced coil-on-coil construction and enhanced lumbar support.
- ✅ AFFORDABLY PRICED— Experience a premium mattress without paying a premium price. No retail overhead = No markups. No gimmicks. No pushy salespeople.
- ✅ ECO-FRIENDLY— Designed to be as eco-friendly as possible, with an organic cotton pillow top, recycled steel coils, an antimicrobial treatment, and a natural thistle flame retardant, Our Mattress has no chemical sprays, formaldehyde, so you can sleep worry-free.
- ✅ RISK-FREE— 120-night trial, free shipping & setup, 15-year warranty, 24/7 Customer Service
Zenhaven is a dual-sized latex brand from Saatva, a company that has been around since 2010 and boasts of a luxurious line of mattresses. The Zenhaven latex is manufactured applying the high-end Talalay process that produces more consistent and lighter feeling mattresses that conform nicely to your body.
There are a number of features of Zenhaven that appeals more to those suffering from sleep apnea, which includes hypoallergenic materials, good spine alignment, and zone pressure relief. Latex is naturally resistant to bacteria growth, dust mites, and molds, which have been found to trigger snoring.
It’s for this reason Zenhaven’s ventilation process features punched holes on five different zones to make sure the sleeper receives correct pressure relief while maintaining a comfortable sleeping position at the same time.
Research has found that stomach or side sleeping can be the best for patients suffering from sleep apnea. However, support needs for these two sleeping positions are a bit different considering that side sleepers often prefer softer mattresses while stomach sleepers often gravitate towards much firmer mattresses.
In case you are unsure of your sleeping style, Zenhaven will let you try one and flip the bed over to try the other position and compare which one works for you.
Zenhaven comes with two firmness levels in one product implying that your favorite fit could be just a flip away. The mattress is manufactured by Saatva, a renowned online-luxury brand. You get a 120-day trial period, therefore you got sufficient time to choose which side works for you. This mattress is also less costly compared to other showroom mattresses.
- Dual-sided design
- Made of Certified Organic Cotton
- Certified with the OEKO-TEX
- The manufacturer offers you a 120-day trial
- Made in the US
- Firm edge support
- Stays cooler than the traditional memory foam
3. Zinus Memory Foam Green Tea Mattress
Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, Queen
- The right combination- Our special recipe for rejuvenating rest. Refreshing green tea and moisture-absorbing Activ charcoal infused into pressure-relieving memory foam that cradles your shape so you awake free of aches and pains and fresh as a daisy
- Pressure-relieving foams- 3 inches conforming memory foam, 2 inches soft, airflow enhancing comfort foam, and 7 inches durable, high density base support foam; ideal for side sleepers and petite to average weight sleepers
- Certipur US certified- Highest quality foam is Certipur US certified for durability, performance, and content
- Expertly packaged- Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
- Worry-free 10 year limited warranty included; twin mattress supports a maximum weight of 250 lbs, while all other sizes can support up to 500 lbs
The Zinus foam mattress is a comfortable mattress for side sleepers. Resting or sleeping on your side can reduce awakening often associated with sleep apnea, therefore giving you and your partner a comfortable night sleep.
Side sleeping also keeps your spine properly aligned, there a great sleeping position for those suffering from neck and lower back pain. The Zinus mattress is ideal for side sleepers giving them adequate support for less.
- Conforming green tea extract memory foam and adequate pressure-relieving support
- Smartly shipped – compressed, rolled and shipped in a box at your doorstep.
- CertiPUR-US certified
- 3-inches memory foam layer, 2 inches’ comfort foam, 3.5 inches’ airflow high-density foam, 3.5 inches’ airflow high-density base support foam.
The mattress is infused with green tea extract in a bid to retain its freshness, while its foam is CertiPUR-US certified – it’s certified for performance and durability. It’s designed with just the right amount of “give,” so you’ll sleep on your side soundly without generating much pressure points.
Many customers have reported the same level of support even after one year of use that they did the very first time they pulled this mattress out of the box. Its affordable price has allowed a number of customers to get extras for guest rooms. The Zinus mattress comes in three different widths, so you’ll find what fits your budget. Also, it comes in eight different sizes ranging from California King to the narrow twin. This is in a bid to have something that suits everyone.
4. Leesa Cooling Avena and Contouring Memory Foam Mattress
Leesa 10" Memory Foam Mattress
- The Leesa mattress provides a Medium-Firm feel and is beautifully designed with three premium foam layers: A top layer of breathable foam, a second layer of memory foam that relieves back, hip and shoulder pressure, and a final signature core support layer that provides support and durability for all body types and sleep positions
- All Leesa mattresses are covered with our iconic 4 stripe mattress cover. We’ve worked hard to make this highly breathable, virtually seamless mattress cover with no tapered edges one of the most comfortable mattress covers on the market, so you can sleep well
- Cooling comfort: Our exclusive high quality foam's microcell structure promotes airflow while still providing the perfect amount of hug and bounce. So, you sleep cooler and get the comfort and support you need
- Can be used with a bed foundation, platform bed or adjustable base (not included)
- Item's Dimensions: 80"L x 60"W x 10"H; Item's weight: 71 lbs
Beds in a box have moved from novelty to normalcy, and the Leesa’s Cooling Avena Mattress is a perfect pick. The mattress’s universal adaptive feel conforms to all bodies as well as sleeping styles, and the Avena foam improves airflow. The mattress has been uniquely designed to ease pressure points that you get overtime from an old mattress, therefore you’re always feeling refreshed when you wake up.
With 100 nights trial, you’ll have enough time to decide whether the Leesa mattress is a good choice for your side sleeping. Several Leesa fans have expressed their satisfaction with the company’s social impact.
The company plants a tree for every mattress sold and donates a mattress to a needy person for every 10 mattresses sold. They also volunteer in local communities, therefore, making a huge impact beyond their mattresses.
The Leesa mattress is uniquely designed with three foam layers for cooling, pressure-relieving core support, and body contouring. Featuring the all-new top layer of LSA200 foam, you will get better rest and improved pressure relief. The Leesa mattress offers a universal adaptive feel that conforms to your body while you sleep irrespective of the sleeping style.
- Cooling comfort: The exclusive LSA200 foam’s microcell structure enhances airflow while providing the required amount of hug and bounce. Therefore, you sleep cooler and get the required support and comfort.
- US-Made: The Leesa mattress is designed, manufactured, and assembled in the USA with superior quality foams.
- Sleep easy: Considering it might take more than one night for you to fall in love with the Leesa mattress, the company gives you a 100-night trial coupled with a no-hassle full refund policy.
- All Leesa mattresses come with iconic 4 strip mattress cover. The covers are highly breathable, virtually seamless and with no tapered edges making them among the most comfortable mattress covers in the market.
5. SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
$119.95 in stock
- CUSTOMER FRIENDLY 1-YEAR WARRANTY comes standard on all SoundAsleep mattresses. Rest assured on your purchase of the highest quality air mattress money can buy. Call or email anytime for support. Our US based team is here to help!
- INDUSTRY LEADING DESIGN exclusively using ComfortCoil Technology and a SureGrip bottom to ensure firmness and stability. No slipping and sliding! With 40 internal air coils for added durability and support your bed will remain flat and firm so you can stay SoundAsleep! Updated in 2019 with our official SoundAsleep logo!
- PATENTED 1-CLICK INTERNAL PUMP ensures quick and easy inflation and deflation. Designed for in-home use, the Queen Size Dream Series mattress reaches full inflation in under 4 minutes and will stay inflated for days. If you prefer a firmer surface, use the pump for a quick top up!
- PREMIUM “DOUBLE-HEIGHT” RAISED AIR BED with dual chamber construction. With inflated dimensions of 78” x 58” x 19”, this mattress is large enough to sleep two people comfortably or one person like a king! Guests, friends and relatives of all shapes and sizes will be thrilled. For a smaller mattress, check out our Twin Size!
- EXTRA THICK, WATERPROOF FLOCKED TOP ensures a comfortable sleeping experience while multilayer, puncture-resistant Eco-Friendly PVC makes this mattress extra durable and long-lasting.
Whether you are taking in unexpected guests or just looking for an extra bed for your family, it’s a bit challenging to find an inflatable mattress that doesn’t leave your guests with a backache. The SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress ups its games by providing you and your guests with the support of a traditional coil mattress.
The SoundAsleep mattress is designed with ComfortCoil technology with about 40 internal coils for excellent support and durability, making it a perfect alternative for side sleepers who need a bit of firmness.
The company’s patented one-click internal pump gets to full inflation in less than 4 minutes. The mattress has a non-slip bottom, so you can use it on any type of indoor flooring. The SoundAsleep air mattress will last for a long time thanks to its extra-thick, waterproof flocked top, and a multilayer puncture resistant cover.
- 1-year customer-friendly warranty
- Features a dual chamber construction
- The mattress design conforms to the ComfortCoil technology
- Features a SureGrip bottom for maximum stability and firmness
- One-click internal pumps let you inflate the mattress in under four minutes
What kind of mattresses for apnea do you need?
Look at the following aspect when shopping for mattresses for apnea:
- Side Sleeping: Many apnea patients get a better night’s sleeping on their side. If you’re an apnea patient, then it’s time to look for a slightly softer mattress with extra cushion and contouring in order to get into a good position and help you sleep soundly.
Mattresses on the medium-soft to medium scale are ideal for side sleepers. Your pressure points, scum as hips and shoulders should get sufficient space to sink into the mattress to straighten out your spine. The mattress should conform to your curves instead of your body adapting to the mattress.
- Edge support: Mattresses with strong edge support can help you get into a better position. Edge support is critical if you’re planning to sleep towards the edge of the mattress as too much compression will make you feel as if you’re falling.
Also, you still need some form of support within the mattress to keep your airways open and keep your spine straight. Therefore, you should look for mattresses with dense support layers or hybrids of soft foams and coils or micro-coil layers to keep your airways and spine as straight as possible.
- Non-toxic materials: Mattresses often off-gas. The odor discharged from lesser quality mattresses may lead to irritation in the breathing system. If you’re prone to snoring, then you need a mattress with less or no off-gassing as this would aggravate the situation.
Materials such as organic cotton, proprietary foams, and Talalay latex have been proven to have less odor compared to the traditional petrol-based memory foams. These materials won’t cure your snoring, but won’t make things worse.
Does size really matter?
Size doesn’t really matter if you’re sleeping along, but it does if you’re sleeping as part of a couple. You’ll want a bed where you don’t have to contort to find a good sleeping space. Adequate space will let you spread out to open your airways and get enough space for your machine.
Also, even if you’re sleeping alone, you’ll want sufficient space to stretch out either on your side or back to alleviate snoring. However, you’d rather get a bed that offers support and contouring rather than a big bed that doesn’t.
If you or your loved one suffers from apnea, you already know how difficult it is to get a good sleep. Sleep apnea causes frequent awakening that disrupts the sleep cycle, therefore, leaving you feeling drained, exhausted, and sleepy even after waking up in the morning. Snoring and sleep apnea can also affect your partner’s sleep cycle as well. It’s important you buy a mattress for sleep apnea.